Want to break into politics?
Come work with the Vermont Democratic Party!
Do you have a passion for politics? Do you love to see positive change in your community? Do you have the energy to be part of a great team and elect Democrats to local and national office?
Then you belong at the VDP.
If you are looking for a great experience to help you build your political activism and leadership qualities, this is the opportunity for you. We are looking for individuals that have a passionate commitment to the values our Party has – people who want to see their communities grow and work with grassroots leaders to support Vermont Democrats.
We have internship opportunities for the following positions:
All intern applicants should be prepared to provide a resume and select their first and second choice departments. Read through and find the one that is right for you!
Interns must be self-motivated, intelligent individuals who share core beliefs with the Vermont Democratic Party (http://www.vtdemocrats.org/our-party/platform). They must have the skills to learn software –Votebuilder and Excel- and have the ability to communicate well and build relationships with statewide and local party officials. Field Fellows must be able to work both independently, and in a group setting, and be available to provide daily reports to the Party Outreach and Communications Director. Previous campaign or political volunteer experience is recommended. Fellows will be working directly with Field Staff and the Field Director to implement all aspects of the Field Program.
Day to day field work will involve:
- Setting up meeting with local activists
- Frequent travel to events/meetings to network with these activists
- Reaching out to identified potential town chairs through phone banking and canvassing
- Checking in regularly with town and county chairs
- Conference calls with the entire Field staff
Interested applicants should select “Field” as their first choice.
The Communications department is for anyone who loves a good argument, reads the news and blogs everyday, loves facebook and Twitter, and has an interest in spreading the message of Democratic success across the state. Interested applicants should be skilled writers, know the basics of social media, and be willing to take on important projects with very tight deadlines. Activities will include, but are not limited to:
- Monitor relevant media contacts/issues
- Drafting social media themes and posts for the Vermont Democratic Party
- Responsible for executing research related to specific candidates in target areas
- Drafting blogs and creating info-graphics for the website
- Editing or filming videos for the website
- Editing or taking photos for the website
- Assisting in drafting press releases, op-eds, media advisory and other related content.
Interested applicants should select “Communications” as their first choice.
The Data department is looking for candidates that believe in the power of numbers. Every election is won or lost by a number of votes, a number of volunteer hours, and many other metrics. This data drives almost all campaign decision-making and this fellowship will teach interns how a campaign’s data is collected, manipulated, and reported to make decisions. Fellows will gain valuable experience on common campaign data collection techniques and the best practices associated with them. Fellows will learn how to track a campaigns progress toward their goals using data manipulation techniques. Also, Fellows get the opportunity to get in depth training on the Democratic Party’s Votebuilder database and learn how database technology can applied to almost anything to make jobs more efficient. Activities include:
- Helping administer the VDP voter database
- Working with field team to analyze voter contact numbers
- Creating reports for progress of campaign program
- Working with vendors to secure accurate data
- Creating materials for and training volunteers on using Votebuilder
Interested applicants should select “Data” as their first choice.
The Finance Department seeks Fellows who is interested in learning all aspects of political fundraising. As much as a finance Fellow needs to be interested in political fundraising, it is also essential that they be detail-oriented, personable, and confident in the face of challenges. Fellows will help the Finance Director conduct day-to-day fundraising and help orchestrate large-scale political events. Finance Fellows will learn the basics of donor stewardship, engagement and appreciation, which will serve as a good foundation for any career in fundraising, public relations, sales, or communications. Activities include:
- Conducting donor research to find new/prospective donors
- Maintaining and working with NGP, the VDP’s fundraising database
- Helping and participating in fundraising call time
- Helping to organize large and small scale fundraising events
- Coordinating and executing mailing activates
- Drafting and sending email solicitations
- Helping with donor follow up and “Thank You” notes
Interested applicants should select “Finance” as their first choice.