The Vermont Democratic Party (VDP) is seeking a dynamic individual to fill the position of Executive Director. This is a full-time position based in Montpelier, VT. The Executive Director is in charge of all day-to-day operation of the VDP, the management of all full and part-time party staff, and serves as the senior advisor to the Chair, Executive Committee, and State Committee.
The Executive Director is responsible for planning and implementing activities that build the party at the grassroots, implement the VDP’s campaign plan for 2018, and further the political objectives of the state party. S/he must be reliable, honest, loyal, and discreet.
The Executive Director reports to the State Chair. Primary responsibilities and duties include, but are not limited to:
Staff Supervision and Day-to-day
• Hiring and supervising staff and performing periodic performance reviews
• Reviewing and guiding staff projects and fundamental responsibilities in accordance with the party’s needs and goals.
• Overseeing healthy and thorough HR practices.
• Conceiving a yearly and quarterly budget and managing day-to-day spending.
• Responding in a timely manner to requests from state committee members, county and town committees, and elected officials.
• Representing the VDP’s interests in the Vermont State House and to legislative committees.
• Serving as spokesperson at Democratic events and county committee meetings.
Fundraising, Finance Administration, and Reporting
• Working with finance staff, consultant(s), and/or other vendors to monitor and maximize fundraising efforts.
• Ensuring all campaign finance reports, tax returns, and other required reports are accurate and timely.
• Working with State Chair, Treasurer, and Executive Committee to develop and adhere to an operating budget that is properly supported by a fundraising plan.
• Engaging in direct fundraising on behalf of the VDP.
• Ensuring the quality and accuracy of the VT Voterfile through collaboration and supervision of appropriate staff.
• Knowing the fundamentals of Votebuilder and its application for VT campaigns from federal races to local races.
• Supervising communications staff to issue press releases, speak out on important issues, respond to attacks, and present the VDP in a positive and professional light.
• Support the State Chair as a communicator in helping to review or prepare statements, talking points, and direct communications.
• Overseeing the development and production of party-building and message delivery tools.
• Working with staff to ensure the VDP website is always current and well maintained.
• Supporting a consistent new media presence for VDP.
Managing Party Operations in Vermont and Nationally
• Developing and maintaining professional relationships with Democratic Party leaders, elected officials, key constituencies, and donors.
• Ensuring that training program for the state party, including town committees, activists, and candidates are available and regularly attended.
• Supporting staff in the conception and execution of the VDP’s annual Fellowship program
• Supporting staff in the guidance and empowerment of the Vermont Young Democrats.
• Organizing all meetings of the state committee and executive committee as required by state party bylaws.
• Implementing programs such as delegate selection, platform development, and voter registration.
• Working with party leaders to determine goals and priorities and monitor progress through a formalized planning process.
• Acting as liaison with the staffs of the Democratic National Committee, Association of State Democratic Chairs, and other national committees.
• Attending the ASDC and DNC meetings.
• Demonstrating an understanding of all aspects of elections, including, campaign techniques, campaign planning, targeting, polling, and get-out-the-vote programs and vendor selection to assist in these endeavors
• Working with local and national caucuses to identify, mentor, recruit, and train Democratic candidates for state and federal office.
Salary commensurate with experience. Health insurance, vacation time, and sick leave included in benefits package.
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume, and references to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Executive Director – Your Name”. Incomplete applications will not be considered. No calls, please.
This position remains open until filled.
Finance Director – Vermont Democratic Party
The Finance Director is responsible for developing and executing a statewide fundraising operation for the Party. This is a full-time position located in Montpelier, Vermont and reports to the Executive Director.
Writing and executing a comprehensive finance plan and securing buy-in from the executive and state committees.
Manage the Party’s annual giving and monthly giving programs; including but not limited to direct mail and e-mail solicitations
Planning both small and large-scale fundraising events around the state
Work with the Executive Director and Chair to maintain and expand the Party’s Trustees Circle Program
Researching donors, as well as scheduling and managing call time and meeting with the State Party Chair and other principals
Building and maintaining strategic relationships with donors
Collaborate with the Data Director on targeting and messaging for outbound and inbound fundraising materials
Work with vendors as necessary for special events and functions
Supporting other Party operations, as necessary
Serve as a resource for local democratic committees
Other duties as assigned
Comprehensive understanding of political fundraising principles and tactics
4+ years of experience raising funds for organizations, candidates, or campaigns
Strong oral and written communication skills
Understanding of federal and state campaign finance laws
Must have working knowledge of NGP VAN campaign finance software
Ability to work long days and irregular hours
Positive and energetic attitude
Ability to travel throughout Vermont and out of state if necessary
Interested candidates should send a resume, cover letter and writing sample to Conor Casey at email@example.com
Part-time position (15 hours per week)
- Working with the Chairman, Party Officers, Executive Director and others to develop a sustainable system to track receipts and disbursements
- Entering receipts and expenditures into NGP within 4 days of receipt or disbursement
- Making timely deposits, within 4 days of receipt
- Saving images of all receipts and documenting name, address, occupation, employer, date of receipt and amount
- Saving information for all disbursements and documenting date, amount, payee, payee address and purpose
- Bank reconciliations
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Keen attention to detail and excellent organizational skills required
Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Communications Director - Vermont Democratic Party Coordinated Campaign
The Communications Director is responsible for managing the overall messaging strategy for the Vermont Democratic Party Coordinated Campaign. They will work closely with the Coordinated Campaign Director to set strategic communications goals and raise the Vermont Democratic Party’s public profile.
This position has a wide range of responsibilities including:
Developing and implementing a multi-faceted communications strategy
Ensuring message continuity across all areas of communications programs
Developing and maintaining relationships with communications leaders among Party allies and the media
Working with local stakeholder groups to help spread a coordinated message statewide
Drafting press releases and other media outreach materials
Facilitating press conferences and other earned media events
Developing and managing a robust social media program
Compiling press clips and issues information and writing briefings
Preparing talking points for party leadership
Working with legislative leadership to take advantage of press opportunities
Maintaining and updating media lists
Monitoring local and national press for relevant stories and developments
Developing and managing a rapid response team
This position reports directly to the Coordinated Campaign Director.
2+ years of experience working in communications
Strong on-the-record experience
Experience managing social media campaigns
Excellent writing skills and a demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced environment
Experience with campaign operations and political communications
Vermont ties preferred
Interested candidates should submit their resume, cover letter, two writing samples and references to VDP Coordinated Campaign Director Rob Hipskind a email@example.com
The Vermont Democratic Party (VDP), is committed to diversity among its staff, and recognizes that its continued success requires the highest commitment to obtaining and retaining a diverse staff that provides the best quality services to supporters and constituents. The VDP is an equal opportunity employer and it is our policy to recruit, hire, train, promote and administer any and all personnel actions without regard to sex, race, age, color, creed, national origin, religion, economic status, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity or expression, ethnic identity or disability, or any other legally protected basis. The VDP is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities in the hiring process and on the job, as required by applicable law. The VDP will not tolerate any unlawful discrimination and any such conduct is strictly prohibited.