Position: Executive Director
Organization: Vermont Democratic Party
Reports to: State Chair
Location: Montpelier, VT
The Vermont Democratic Party (VDP) is seeking a dynamic, talented and committed individual to fill the position of Executive Director. This is a full-time position based in Montpelier, VT.
The Executive Director is in charge of all day-to-day operations of the VDP, the management of all full and part-time Party staff, and serves as the senior advisor to the Chair, Executive Committee, and State Committee.
The Executive Director is responsible for planning and implementing activities that build the party at the grassroots, developing and implementing the VDP’s campaign plan for 2022, and furthering the political objectives of the state party.
The Executive Director must be reliable, honest, discerning, and trustworthy. Additionally, the Executive Director needs to possess superior organizational and communication skills, including the ability to respond effectively to rapidly changing political circumstances and multiple priorities within a complex environment.
The Vermont Democratic Party is committed to using a diversity, equity, inclusion and access lens to meet its mission.
Commitment through the 2022 election cycle is required.
Candidates must have at least 3-5 years of professional nonprofit, business, or political experience, preferably in leadership, campaign finance, fundraising, and political strategy. Candidates should proficient with Microsoft Office Suite and Google Drive, as well as Zoom, and ideally have a Bachelors’ degree from an accredited college or university.
The Executive Director reports to, and works closely with, the State Chair. Primary responsibilities and duties include, but are not limited to:
Staff Supervision and Day-to-Day Operations:
- Hiring and supervising staff and performing periodic performance reviews.
- Reviewing and guiding staff projects and fundamental responsibilities in accordance with the party’s needs and goals.
- Overseeing healthy and thorough HR practices.
- Working with the staff union (USW) to conduct personnel policies and practices in compliance with the union contract and maintain a positive employer/union relationship.
- Developing an annual budget and managing day-to-day spending.
- Responding in a timely manner to requests from state committee members, county and town committees, and elected officials.
- Representing the VDP’s interests in the Vermont State House and to legislative committees.
- Serving as spokesperson at Democratic events and county committee meetings.
Fundraising, Finance Administration, and Reporting:
- Working with finance staff, State Chair, consultant(s), and/or other vendors to monitor and maximize fundraising efforts.
- Ensuring all campaign finance reports, tax returns, and other required reports are accurate and timely.
- Implementing/maintaining appropriate internal accounting systems and safeguards for strong financial management practices.
- Working with the State Chair, Treasurer, Budget and Finance Subcommittee, and Executive Committee to develop and adhere to an operating budget that is properly supported by a fundraising plan.
- Engaging in direct fundraising on behalf of the VDP.
- Helping plan and execute successful fundraising events around the state.
- Ensuring the quality and accuracy of the VT VoterFile through collaboration and supervision of appropriate staff.
- Knowing the fundamentals of Votebuilder and its application for Vermont campaigns from federal races to local races.
- Using a variety of data sources to develop strategies for electoral victories.
- Keeping up to date on developments in the field of electoral data and technological tools.
- Supervising communications staff to issue press releases, speaking out on important issues, responding to attacks, and presenting the VDP in a positive and professional light.
- Supporting the State Chair as a communicator in helping to review or prepare statements, talking points, and direct communications.
- Overseeing the development and production of party-building and message delivery tools to effectively communicate both internally and externally.
- Working with staff to ensure the VDP website is always current and well maintained.
- Supporting a consistent social media presence for VDP.
Managing Party Operations in Vermont and Nationally:
- Developing and maintaining professional relationships with Democratic Party leaders, elected officials, key constituencies, and donors.
- Ensuring that training programs for the state party, including town committees, activists, and candidates are available and regularly attended.
- Supporting staff in the conception and execution of the VDP’s annual Fellowship/Intern program.
- Supporting staff in the guidance and empowerment of the Vermont Young Democrats and Vermont College Democrats.
- Organizing all meetings of the state committee and executive committee as required by state party bylaws.
- Identifying and encouraging grassroots involvement at all levels of the Vermont Democratic Party, and promoting leadership that reflects the full diversity of Vermont.
- Implementing programs such as delegate selection, platform development, and voter registration.
- Working with party leaders to determine goals and priorities and monitor progress through a formalized planning process.
- Acting as liaison with the staffs of the Democratic National Committee, Association of State Democratic Chairs, and other national committees.
- Participating in ASDC and DNC meetings.
- Leading all aspects of elections, including, campaign techniques, campaign planning, targeting, polling, and get-out-the-vote programs and vendor selection to assist in these endeavors.
- Helping to identify, mentor, recruit, and train Democratic candidates for state and federal office; working with the legislative caucuses, party leaders, elected officials, key constituency groups, and others to find and support strong candidates.
- Working to achieve cooperation and coordination between various Democratic campaigns (at all levels) during elections.
Commensurate with experience Commensurate with experience, but is expected to be in the mid-$70,000s. Health insurance, vacation time, and sick leave included in the benefits package.
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume, and three references to Bruce Olsson at firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, March 12, 2021 with the subject line “Executive Director – Your Name”. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
This position remains open until filled.