Staff Supervision and Day-to-Day Operations
- Hiring and supervising staff and performing periodic performance reviews
- Reviewing and guiding staff projects and fundamental responsibilities in accordance with the party’s needs and goals.
- Overseeing healthy and thorough HR practices.
- Working with the staff union (USW) to conduct personnel policies and practices in compliance with the union contract and maintain a positive employer/union relationship
- Developing a yearly and quarterly budget and managing day-to-day spending.
- Responding in a timely manner to requests from state committee members, county and town committees, and elected officials.
- Representing the VDP’s interests in the Vermont State House and to legislative committees.
- Serving as spokesperson at Democratic events and county committee meetings.
Fundraising, Finance Administration, and Reporting
Working with finance staff, State Chair, consultant(s), and/or other vendors to monitor and maximize fundraising efforts.
Ensuring all campaign finance reports, tax returns, and other required reports are accurate and timely.
Implementing/maintaining appropriate internal accounting systems and safeguards for strong financial management practices.
Working with State Chair, Treasurer, and Executive Committee to develop and adhere to an operating budget that is properly supported by a fundraising plan.
Helping plan and execute successful fundraising events around the state.
Engaging in direct fundraising on behalf of the VDP.
- Ensuring the quality and accuracy of the VT VoterFile through collaboration and supervision of appropriate staff
- Knowing the fundamentals of Votebuilder and its application for Vermont campaigns from federal races to local races.
Using a variety of data sources to develop strategies for electoral victories.
Keeping up to date on developments in the field of electoral data andtechnological tools.
- Supervising communications staff to issue press releases, speaking out on important issues, responding to attacks, and presenting the VDP in a positive and professional light
- Supporting the State Chair as a communicator in helping to review or prepare statements, talking points, and direct communications.
- Overseeing the development and production of party-building and message delivery tools.
Working with staff to ensure the VDP website is always current and well maintained.
Supporting a consistent social media presence for VDP.
Managing Party Operations in Vermont and Nationally
- Developing and maintaining professional relationships with Democratic Party leaders, elected officials, key constituencies, and donors
- Ensuring that training programs for the state party, including town committees, activists, and candidates are available and regularly attended.
- Supporting staff in the conception and execution of the VDP’s annual Fellowship/Intern program
- Supporting staff in the guidance and empowerment of the Vermont Young Democrats and Vermont College Democrats..
- Organizing all meetings of the state committee and executive committee as required by state party bylaws.
- Identifying and encouraging grassroots involvement at all levels of the Vermont Democratic Party, and promoting leadership that reflects the full diversity of Vermont.
- Implementing programs such as delegate selection, platform development, and voter registration.
- Working with party leaders to determine goals and priorities and monitor progress through a formalized planning process.
Acting as liaison with the staffs of the Democratic National Committee, Association of State Democratic Chairs, and other national committees.
Participating in ASDC and DNC meetings.
- Leading all aspects of elections, including, campaign techniques, campaign planning, targeting, polling, and get-out-the-vote programs and vendor selection to assist in these endeavors
Helping to identify, mentor, recruit, and train Democratic candidates for state and federal office; working with the legislative caucuses, party leaders, elected officials, key constituency groups, and others to find and support strong candidates
Working to achieve cooperation and coordination between various Democratic campaigns (at all levels) during elections.
2019 Summer Interships
The Vermont Democratic Party is hiring multiple part-time interns to help assist the Party with various tasks throughout the 2019 Summer months.
Tasks and Duties:
- Assist in the implementation of a robust social media program
- Assist in the planning and execution of Party events/rallies/festivals/etc.
- Draft social media posts
- Assist VDP staff with Party Reorganization
- Attend Party functions with the goal of "covering" the event through photography and videography
Required Skills & Background:
- Experience working with strict deadlines and goals
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to prioritize and effectively manage multiple tasks in a fast-paced work environment
- Photography/videography skill preferred
- Strong writing abilities
- An eye for design
- Commitment to growing the Vermont Democrat Party
- Willing to learn new skills and work on all aspects of the State Party system
- Willing to work in a fast paced environment
- Experienced Microsoft Office users and ready to learn other software
Preferred Background & Experience:
- Enrolled in college or recently graduated
- This is a part-time 10 hours a week paid position
- This position will last roughly 10 weeks with flexible state and end dates
- Interns will be paid $15/hour
How to apply:
- If interested in applying, please email a cover letter and resume (references optional) to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “VDP Summer Intern”
The Finance Director is responsible for creating and implementing an annual fundraising plan and directing the staff and Party in all fundraising activities. They should be skilled in managing multiple, competing priorities simultaneously and while maintaining a sharp focus on details. They must be creative, dynamic, relentless, and unafraid to take risks.
The Director will report to the Executive Director and collaborate with the entire Party team. Salary is commensurate with experience and we offer health care, vision and dental coverage. The position is part of a union collective bargaining agreement.
The Finance Director is responsible for directing all the vital revenue streams, which allow us to elect democrats at all levels, throughout the state.
DUTIES INCLUDE (but not limited to):
● Working with staff, consultants, and vendors on an aggressive fundraising strategy, including implementing an annual fundraising calendar, that comprises digital, direct mail, events, major donor, and other targeted fundraising campaigns.
● Develop and manage strategies geared towards the donor lifecycle and journey as it relates to acquisition, on-boarding, cultivation/engagement and retention from donors acquired via all channels, especially digital.
● Work with the Party Chair, Executive Director, and Director of Party Operations to track income and adjust goals, as needed.
● Reporting income and expenses for all fundraising channels weekly, monthly, and oftentimes daily.
● Work with the organization’s fundraising committee on fundraising strategy decisions, public-facing messaging tactics, and other politically sensitive issues as appropriate.
● Directing teams of staff, interns, and volunteers in the planning and execution of events and other fundraising tactics.
● Direct the operations for yearly fundraisers, and donor appreciation events, as well as implement the yearly fundraising plan.
● Drafting fundraising and event communications, including acquiring approval from Chair, Executive Director, and elected officials, candidates, initiative campaigns, etc. This includes but is not limited to multiple weekly fundraising emails, donor reports, electoral reports, social media communications, and direct mail.
● Acting as point of contact for guest speakers, providing briefing documents and talking points, and attending to other special requests.
● Acting as point of contact for prospective and committed event sponsors. This includes following up on unanswered solicitations, confirming guests, and securing payment.
● Acting as point of contact for venue management and other vendors, such as catering and audio-visual providers. This includes determining appropriate room setup orders and timed, detailed event schedules.
● A passion for social justice and a commitment to Democratic Party values.
● Fundraising experience, including time directing volunteers/staff.
● Proven track record of raising funds from diverse sources.
● Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
● A tenacious drive to unearth new strategies to elect Democrats.
● A friendly and professional member-first demeanor.
● Ability to manage multiple projects independently.
● Proficiency in MS Office, including Microsoft Word and Excel, with experience in NGP-VAN; online event registration software; and comfort with basic graphic design software, such as Adobe Photoshop or Illustrator.
● Demonstrated success in digital acquisition and fundraising campaigns.
● Detail oriented and comfortable working in a fast-paced office environment.
● Demonstrated commitment to accountability, measuring outcomes, and a results-oriented culture.
The Vermont Democratic Party provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or genetics.
Recruitment for this position will remain open until filled. To apply please send your resume to email@example.com , along with a brief description of why you are uniquely qualified, including examples of creative strategies you would bring to the position. Consideration will be given to all qualified applicants who submit their resume by the time recruitment closes.